Sunday, July 13, 2008

Mural Mosaic Le Cadeau du Cheval-My Panel #190


John Henry of Our Hearts

This is my panel for Le Cadeau du Cheval
The Horse Gift


There are 238 artist's panels making up a mother image that will be revealed
September 3rd at the Masters in Spruce Meadows, Calgary AB Canada

Here is the panel as I received it

Panels are 16"x16"
Mural Mosaic had a list of horses they would like to be considered for the mural
of the famous Race horses I was thrilled to see John Henry listed and requested him. We were shown panels available and could pick three. I got my first choice #190 although when it came I wondered what the heck I was thinking. It worked out well.

Here is my thumbnail for John Henry
It's kind of artist shorthand. It looks like a scribble but I can see it more developed. Here is my working sketch-
John Henry was a grand old man. He was the first Thoroughbred millionaire. That is the John Henry of history. He raced until he was nine years old then retired to the Kentucky Horse Park where he lived until last year. He passed away at 32. He is the John Henry of our hearts. The name plate was on his door. the memorial stone was place on his grave by those who loved him. We thought he would always be there.

No comments: